Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Broken Records: The Playlist, or, The Three Brunettes

On or around March 21, 2016, punctum books released my hybrid memoir/discography Broken Records, in which I recall what it was like to be a teenager, and then a 20-something, and then a 30-something during and after the break up of Yugoslavia, and all the wars, secessions, and nation-building, from about 1991 to about 2008. As ridiculously huge and heavy as all that sounds, the memoir is less than 190 pages long.


To mark the anniversary, here's my YouTube playlist with all the 49 songs from the book. It's possibly the most random playlist ever, but it will all make sense to my readers.

The opening song of the playlist, by the one and only Sabrina, isn't mentioned in the book directly, but it's an example of Euro disco pop which I do reference as the garish musical wallpaper of my childhood.


The very last song, "Because the Night" by Patti Smith, is the song I sang in Belgrade as NATO missiles were about to strike their first targets on March 24, 1999, when I was 25. Again, my readers find all this completely reasonable.


No comments: