Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Rhyme Circle: Ja imam sarene oci / novac nece doci / medjutim ovisnik o moci / na kraju nece dobro proci

Although Koja has been a part of my consciousness seemingly my whole childhood, the first time I remember being fully engrossed in his music was when he appeared with his band Dicsiplina Kicme on TV and did "Novac nece doci." I think Koja burned some dinar bills then, but I couldn't find a video of that. Here is a non-video of a kick-ass live performance:



His latest is a rhyme throwback to that song. Twenty-nine years later, the current lineup of Disciplin A Kitschme releases "Ovisnik o moci."



In my silly translation:

"Novac nece doci" (1985):
My eyes are kaleidoscope
Will I get cash? Nope!

"Ovisnik o moci" (2014):
However if power is your dope
Will you fare well? Nope!


2 comments:

Clem said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMq3Zr9_ARE
Couldn't help but sharing this oment of Frech TV/music history! (To give some context, Gainsbourg was complaining about taxes)

Snezana Zabic said...

Ah, Serge...