Sunday, September 18, 2011

La Dulce Vida


Mexican bakeries in Pilsen and my sweet tooth are matched to perfection. Today I walked in the rain two blocks to the bakery called Nuevo Leon. (Not to be confused with the nearby restaurant of the same name.) I was tired in a good way, from staying up too late partying with Nick and the siblings. The rain was soft and lazy too. I knew what I would get: a couple of bolillos filled with cream cheese and jalapenos, a choco doughnut, a couple of pineapple upside-downs, and the sweet cheese pastry. I don't know what the latter is actually called, but it's a soft (not flaky) little pocket with a smooth cheesy-vanilla filling. It used to be my favorite, then the pineapple upside-down muffins became the biggest hit, but now it's a tie between the two, and it will likely remain a tie. At home, I had a morsel of each thing a bought, beginning with the only savory treat, the cheese-jalapeno bolillo. Fresh coffee that Nick had just brewed was waiting for me. Sweet baked goods might be the perfect food: a meal and a dessert rolled (filled, folded, baked) into one.

2 comments:

Clem said...

The pineapple upside down on the photos look sooooo good, soft and juicy. But I won't feel my life is worth living it until I've tried the cheese-jalapeno bolillos!

Snezana Zabic said...

Another reason why you guys have to come back to Chicago and Pilsen.