Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Back to Basics?


In Belgrade, in the early-to-mid nineties, I wrote my first book of poetry by hand (most poems in multiple drafts first on scraps of paper and later in special notebooks), and then typed it up on a manual typewriter I borrowed from a coworker of my mom's. After that, it's always been a combo of by hand and computer. I believe that my first submission to a journal was also a bunch of handwritten poems and they got published.

One thing I realized, I've never stopped writing song lyrics by hand, in fact most of my lyrics have yet to be typed into a computer. I have them all memorized anyway, so I feel no pressing need to actually type them up.

A possible experiment: I could write my next poetry book by hand, and then type it up on a typewriter. I could then make PDFs out of the handwritten drafts and the typewritten pages and publish the book electronically. It would be like clothing with all the hand-stitching proudly displayed. Like I told my students the other day: "I'm from the twentieth century. Paper is not dead, and neither is punk rock."

3 comments:

patricia said...

LOVE that you're back. Love "I'm from the twentieth century. Paper is not dead, and neither is punk rock."
Can you sing it for us.

(I just always have trouble w/white type on black background. Hurts my old eyes.)

patricia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Snezana Zabic said...

hey patricia, good to know about the white on black. i can always play around with that.